6 Tips for Sinus Pain Relief With Sjogren's
Updated: Mar 2, 2021
Sjogren's Disease is an autoimmune condition where the body attacks the moisture producing glands in the body.
This causes deterioration of your nasal mucous glands.
Basically means the body doesn't produce snot.
While you might think that's great, especially if you are sitting at home with a cold dealing with a dripping, stuffy, snotty nose. A person with Sjogren's ca be negatively impacted by the inability to product snot.
Take for example when you body does get a cold or infection. The body's defense to attack and get rid of the cold is through inflammation and mucus. Your body rids the infection by draining the sinus' properly, with snot.
For a person with Sjogren's, who's body doesn't produce snot, you can now imagine how difficult it is to fight off infection when they get sick. They have no ability to blow their nose and get the snot and virus out.
This can often lead to inflammation of the sinus cavity (behind the eyes and in the cheeks) and a build up of fluid and pressure, which can be incredibly painful.
If you have Sjogren's and catch a cold or virus resulting in pressure and pain in your sinus', try a few (or all) of these tips to help your body reduce inflammation and drain the sinus'.
1. Jump into a hot steamy shower (and blow your nose gently)
2. Use a facial steamer (and blow your nose gently)
3. Use a neti-pot or nasal irrigation system (2 times per day)
4. Ask your doctor for a steroid solution to put into neti-pot. Medication name Pulmicort Nebamp. (Helps to reduce inflammation)
5. Ask your doctor for a steroid nasal spray (Helps to reduce inflammation)
6. Use nasal gel to keep nasal passage moist after all the above (I use brand Secaris)
I should also mention that it's possible to have a cold or virus causing sinus pressure that leaves fluids in the sinus cavity. If the liquid isn't drained properly, which is common of Sjogren's patients, the cold or virus can turn into an infection requiring antibiotics.
I hope that these tips can help you if you are dealing with Sjogren's sinus pressure and nasal cavity dryness.
Wishing you Health and Happiness,